Pointers from Rie
- Washing the sardines with water and wiping them will suppress the bad smell; but if it still bothers you, wash it in salt water.
- Being aware of the bones will decrease the deliciousness. Therefore, remove the visible bones.
- It is delicious when eaten warm or when it is cooled in the refrigerator.
Ingredients [4 people]
Bonito soy sauce
|Oil (for frying)||suitable amount|
- Remove the head of the sardines, then remove the internal organs with a knife and wash it clean with water. Wipe with a paper towel.
- Put your thumb in between the flesh and the spine, and glide your thumb across to push the sardine open. Then, break the tail bone and use your pointer finger and thumb to grab from the broken bone and peel out the rest of the spine from the sardine. Take out the bones from both sides of the sardine with a knife and pick out the remaining bones with your fingers.
- Cut off the tail from 2) and throw it away. Then, cut the sardine in half and slice each half again diagonally. Cover the four pieces of sardine with starch and pat away the excess.
- Take out the seeds from the pumpkin and cut it into thin slices. Cut the bitter melon vertically and take out the inside cotton and seeds, then cut it into pieces of 1 cm. Remove the stem and seeds of the bell pepper and cut into random bite size pieces.
- Put a) in a pot then put it on medium heat. Once it boils while mixing, turn off the heat.
- Put a lot of oil into a frying pan and put it on medium heat, then fry 4) and use a paper towel to remove the oil after frying.
- Fry 3) as well and remove the oil. Then, put that and 6) onto a pan and pour 5) on top.
- Once the flavors blend, place it on a plate and pour the remaining sauce on top.
MOA Products Used
Starch, bonito soy sauce, Zuiun pure rice vinegar [Maroyaka], mineral sugar mild, corn salad oil.
This recipe was published in the magazine “Paradise” No. 80 (Summer 2020).