Pointers from Rie
- By toasting the sesame seeds, the scent will increase. Fry carefully because sesame seeds are oily and burn easily.
- Adding too much vinegar will give it a sour smell, and you will need to add in more of the other seasonings as well. In order to avoid this, add in the vinegar a little at a time and taste it.
- Vinegar is able to suppress the astringent taste, so by adding in just enough vinegar without smelling it, the flavors from the other ingredients of this dish is able to be enjoyed.
Ingredients [4 people]
|Chikuwa [tube shape fish cake]||１|
|Dark soy sauce||１teaspoon|
|Toasted sesame seeds||４tablespoon|
Dark soy sauce
- Cross cut the roots of the spinach and wash in water. Cut the carrots into long strips. Cut the chikuwa vertically in half, then diagonally.
- Put the carrots into a pot filled with water, and once it boils, take the carrots out.
- Put the spinach into the pot used in 2) and once it boils, put the spinach in cold water to cool down. Then, drain the water and cut the spinach into 5 cm pieces.
- Put 3) in a bowl, mix in soy sauce, and gently rub, then lightly squeeze.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a frying pan then crush them in a mortar. Add a) and mix.
- Add 2), 4), and chikuwa into 5) and mix, then place on a plate.
MOA Products Used
Chikuwa [tube shape fish cake], Zuiun dark soy sauce, white sesame seeds, Zuiun rice vinegar Maroyaka, mineral sugar mild.
This recipe was published in the magazine “Paradise” No. 78 (Winter2020).